David A Gammon, Sixth Sense
Thursday 19th January 2023
In 2020 I conducted some research among 20 Owners / MDs. I asked them what they would most like to improve about the performance of the people in their Management and Leadership teams.
Their comments evolved into statements that can be helpful self-assessment tools for anyone in a Leadership position in a small business. It can help you identify where to put focus to achieve considerable breakthroughs in your performance in your role and give you a much-heightened experience of being a Leader.
To get the most from this assessment, you must be brutally honest with yourself. This can be uncomfortable to discuss with others until you and I have had a conversation. Therefore, I do not recommend you directly share this assessment with anyone until then.
- Read each statement
- Score yourself on a scale of 1-5 on how you believe the statement applies to you (enter the score in the ‘Me’ column)
- = Never / No, a real blind spot
- = Rarely / Not really
- = Sometimes / Somewhat
- = Often / Yes, this is me
- = All the Time / Yes, a real strength of mine
- Now complete the rating again but score from your perspective of how others see you.
- Note any thoughts about the statement, how it applies to you and how your perspective differs from how you think others see you.
Self Assessment Questions
- I know myself well and understand my strengths and blind spots
- When I am asked to do something, I seek clarity until I am clear, and then go and do it
- I don’t procrastinate or defer things because they might be difficult
- I find motivating myself to do anything pretty easy
- I have a high degree of self-confidence that I can take on anything
- I find bouncing back from failure or disappointment easy
- I am effective at delegating tasks and projects to members of my team
- I find implementing changes to working practices easy within my team
- When I delegate, people do what I ask in the way I want it done
- I consistently achieve deadlines for things I am asked to do
- I understand and work well with all of my peers
- I am confident in giving performance feedback even when it is critical
- I take ownership and responsibility for my efforts and results, whether good or bad
- I always speak up in meetings when I have something relevant or important to contribute
- I understand all of the other functions in the business and the interdependencies involved
- I feel confident about my leadership and business acumen
- I consider decisions carefully and make them confidently
- I am open and transparent and feel like I am genuinely being myself in my role
- I can influence the perspectives of others without confrontation
- My team respect and trust me to do what is right for the company
- I have a positive and open relationship with my boss(es)
- I have a reputation for delivering and getting things done
- When problems happen, I can be relied on to fix them and stop them from happening again.
- When making decisions, I consider the entire company’s perspective
- I can prioritise effectively and make good choices about what is important to do
- I communicate effectively and don’t feel like I haven’t been heard or am not getting my point across
When you have completed this assessment, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can organise a conversation about the results and what they mean for how you can move forward.